I shared my go-to Banana Bread recipe with a coworker a few weeks ago. Ever since I did, I’ve been dying to make it. I don’t make Banana Bread often because John doesn’t like Bananas, so I end up eating the whole thing myself. This time I brought it to work for others to enjoy. I put it in the break room and it was gone in minutes. I’ve been using this same recipe for several years now, after a lot of trial and error to get the perfect healthier recipe. It’s a lightened up version of your typical Banana Bread. It doesn’t have any butter, sugar, or white flour. Instead I use apple sauce, honey, and whole wheat flour. Even though it is lightened up, it is still super moist and jam packed with flavor. Best part is, it takes less than 15 minutes to prepare. Once you’ve mixed all the ingredients together, you just stick it in the oven for about an hour. The Dessert Club ladies would be proud. When it’s baking there’s plenty of time for a glass of wine! Give this healthier Whole Wheat Banana Bread recipe a try and let me know what you think.
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
3/4 cup Honey
2 Eggs, beaten
3 Over Ripe Bananas, mashed
1/3 cup Chocolate Chips (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan.
In a large bowl, combine the Flour, Baking Soda, and Salt. Set aside.
Add the Banana mixture to the Flour mixture. Stir just to moisten. Do not over mix!
Fold in the Chocolate Chips (optional). I like to use the Tollhouse Mini Chocolate Chips, however you could leave these out, or use walnuts, raisins, or pecans in their place.
Bake for 60-65 minutes until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then put on a wire cooling rack until completely cool. Enjoy!
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- ¾ cup Honey
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 3 Over Ripe Bananas, mashed
- ⅓ cup Chocolate Chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the Flour, Baking Soda, and Salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, mix the Applesauce and Honey. Stir in the Eggs and Mashed Banana until combined.
- Add the Banana mixture to the Flour mixture. Stir just to moisten. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the Chocolate Chips (optional).
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 60-65 minutes until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then put on a wire cooling rack until completely cool.